Our Andis T-Outliner review aims to both give you detailed pros and con's have the trimmer and provide some educational information on how these clippers are used. These clippers have been a long time classic and popular pair among barbers for years.
- The professional standard for all-around outlining, dry-shaving and fading
- Perfect for all-around outlining, dry-shaving and fading
- Equipped with close-cutting carbon-steel T-blade that can be zero-gapped
- Contoured housing fits comfortably in your hand
- Heavy-duty 8-foot cord with hanger loop
Before You Buy the Andis T Outliner
Before buying the Andis T Outliner make sure you know what these clippers are really for. This isn't your normal hair cutting clippers you would cut hair at home with. You'll find out through this Andis T Outliner review that they're for more professional use.
Here's what these clippers excel at:
Lining - This might sound obvious because it's in the name, "outliner". These clippers work extremely well at shaping hair lines. Which is why you see them largely in black men's barber shops.
Facial Hair - When it comes to facial hair you need something that can give a very close shave and provide straight lines. The Andis T-Outliner excels at both. Ideal for shaving the neck and giving straight lines on the cheeks.
Ears - This kind of falls back on how good these clippers are at lining but if you've ever had to shave around ears you know what I'm talking about. These clippers make edging around ears much easier and convenient.
What these clippers aren't so good at.
If you're looking for something to cut the bulk of hair you'll want normal hair clippers. The Andis T-Outliner isn't going to cut hair the same way a Wahl 5 Star would.
The typical person who would need the Andis T-Outliner will be someone in the hair cutting profession. Also, someone who is just getting started in the profession. A lot of barbers recommend these clippers as a must have in your "clipper arsenal".
If you're looking to cut hair at home go with different clippers. You aren't going to get the variation of length guards and adjustable settings with these clippers like the others. I love when people want to tackle cutting hair at home but just not with the Andis T-Outliner.
Andis T Outliner: Deep Details
This is our deep details where we break down the clippers into what they truly are. We're judging the level of quality and effectiveness of the product compared to what it costs. We call this our price to quality ratio.
In order to pass our price to quality ratio these clippers will need to outperform similar clippers and be priced more competitively. It's our way of making sure you get the best possible deal and the best possible tool.
The Core Traits
These clippers provide a unique benefit to cutting hair that other clippers don't offer. They make cutting straight lines much easier and this is the core feature of the clippers. Other clipper can't give you the precision in line cutting that these offer.
The Andis T-Outliner also performs really well for very close shaving. The wide T blade covers more ground giving a quicker shave. Overall perfect for facial hair lining and hairlines.
These are your shaping clippers essentially. Shaping and final touches is when you'll want to break these out and use them.
Out of the Box
During our Andis T-Outliner review we were happy to see they perform additional product testing before sending the clippers out. Each pair of clippers is tested in its cutting ability before leaving the factory.
They also come pre-oiled.
They come equipped with a very close cutting blade ideal for neck, beards, mustaches, and edging around ears. The housing is contoured to add a better grip and it houses a high speed motor. They're ideal for dry shaving.
The blades can be adjusted for a more personalized shaving experience.
Tip: Always oil these blades before each use.
Hair Comb Attachments
The Andis T-Outliner doesn't come with comb attachments out of the box. You'll need to purchase them separately if you need them.
You can get 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8" hair guard lengths.
The combs come with a snap on metal clip to prevent them from breaking.
Blades and Maintenance
The blades are carbon steel and will last you a very long time with proper maintenance. You should be oiling your blades before each use and cleaning them regularly when you're finished.
Professional barbers use these clippers often. The fact you can adjust your blades is a bonus. If you've never adjusted blades like this before here's a little guide.
Andis T-Outliner comes with an 8 foot cord so you're definitely not limited in distance for cutting hair. Plus you've got a hanger loop if you need to place it down for a moment.
It doesn't have a cordless option but in the professional barber scene you typically want a corded device anyhow. That way you don't have to worry about running out of juice or forgetting to charge your clippers.
The motor is very powerful and at the same time so pleasantly quiet.
What Others are Saying
The majority of reviews we've seen from customers of this product have been positive. Below are some recent reviews left by people who purchased them from Amazon. These comments are similar around the web and forums.
Alternatives to the Andis T-Outliner
Wahl 5 Star Edgers
- PROFESSIONAL PRECISION: From Wahl Professional's commercial grade line of products, the 5-Star Razor Edger is intended for professional use only and is designed to deliver the sharp performance that...
- STYLISH AND FUNCTIONAL: Perfect for precision trimming and edging, the 5-Star Razor Edger is a versatile trimmer that offers razor-close cuts. It doesn't allow heat build-up while it runs, has an...
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: For your convenience, the 5-Star Razor Edger comes with all accessories required for use. Package includes (3) T-blade guards, pro set tool, oil, cleaning brush, operating...
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: The 5-Star Razor Edger (#8051) measures 6.25" long and weighs 9.3 oz. This product features an electromagnetic motor, a 1060-600 blade, an 8 foot professional-grade, chemical...
- PLEASE NOTE: Wahl Professional Products purchased from this authorized dealer feature a manufacturer's warranty, which is not available from unauthorized dealers.
If you're a fan of Wahl like so many others you might be happy to hear they have a pretty good edger. Like the Andis T-Outliner they're for straight line cutting and edging hair.
These cost around the same as the Andis T Outliner and the level of quality difference is negligible.
These do include additional accessories like exchangeable heads. So you get more variation in your cutting ability. It really boils down to a preference if you're comparing the two clippers.
Wahl 9818 Groomer
- Self-Sharpening Precision Blades - Patented technology provides superior cutting for all hair types & length. The blades are long lasting for quiet performance for outstanding performance in a hair...
- Complete Grooming System - 4 multipurpose attachments are perfect for all facial hair styles: T-Blade, Detail Shaver, Rotary Personal Trimmer, Detail Trimmer. For touch ups between hair clipping &...
- Dual Voltage - This cordless beard and hair trimmer for men is equipped with a long-running lithium ion rechargeable battery usable with 110v and international 220 volt. The perfect travel choice in a...
- Buy Today - Wahl Clipper is the #1 brand of beard trimmers & hair clippers. The brand of professional beard trimmers used by professionals since 1919, our made in the USA trimmer includes all the...
- Give the Gift of Quality - Beard trimmers for men makes a great personal gift! Dads, husbands, and boyfriends will love this top-rated precise self-care trimmer for any occasion!
If you need something that can outline but also be more versatile the Wahl 9818 is a good alternative. We've done a complete single item review on these clippers.
These clippers are cordless with multiple attachments. They come with a detail trimmer, acute trimmer, and ear/nose trimmer.
Personally I really like this trimmer. I enjoy the attachments and it's a really good outliner as well. Plus the modern design is pleasing to look at.
Additionally these clippers are smaller making them ideal for traveling. If you travel often this might make a good second pair to take around with you.
While there's some other alternatives available on the market for edgers or outliners we didn't feel they met our standards to list them above. Instead we'll leave it with our 2 optional alternatives to the Andis T-Outliner.
If you've found a great alternative you believe should be recommended here please leave a comment and let us know.
Before You Go!
I hope our Andis T Outliner review helped you make an informed decision. A big problem is some people buy this thinking it's like other standard hair clippers and are disappointed when they realize it's a more unique shaver.
Leave a comment below if you use the Andis T-Outliner and let us know what you think about it. Thanks for reading!