Let's talk about the best back shavers for men available on the market today. Back hair is one of the biggest trouble spots for many men. It's a hard spot to reach and shave, and you don't want to ask someone to help you shave your back.
It can be embarrassing to ask someone to shave your back. Instead, you'll need to figure out an alternative solution. There are different back shavers out there which can get the job done. Read our best back shaver reviews to help you decide which one is right for you.
The Problem with Back Hair
Back hair is unsightly. That's the main reason men want it removed. Plus their girlfriends and wives tend to give them polite reminders that they should shave their backs.
If you're very hairy with a lot of back hair, it can make taking your shirt off uncomfortable. The weird looks and stares are often enough of a reason to just keep the shirt on.
A lot of men find they enjoy having their back shaved. After trying it once, you may find yourself wanting to keep it shaved all the time.
If you're shaving your own back, then you're going to need a shaver will a long handle. There's only a couple on the market that are worth spending money on. Unfortunately, there's a lot of other options out there that are a complete waste of money.
Our goal is to make sure you get something worth the money that will tackle this issue.
What Causes Back Hair?
There are two main causes of excessive back hair growth. If you've ever wondered what causes back hair growth, here you go.
Hypertrichosis - This is a condition which causes abnormal density and length. It mostly affects men and can be a big reason for excessive back hair. It's an abnormal genetic trait to make sure to thank your parents.
It distributes hair growth oddly and causes hair to respond to androgen levels differently. Luckily, it isn't a medical problem and only a cosmetic one. So no need to worry about experiencing any medical complications down the road because of this.
Hirsutism - This can be a more serious medical issue. It causes your body to produce more androgens which your hair follicles respond to and can cause unusual growth.
This condition has additional effects on the body. It can cause weight gain among other issues. Always seek professional medical advice for these conditions. iManscape is not a source for medical remedies.
Top 5 Best Back Shavers
Below are the five best back shavers to solve your issue. We've combined our list with both manual and electric shavers. At iManscape, we go by a price to quality ratio with any products we recommend.
Our price to quality ratio works by choosing the product that performs best, will last longest, and is affordable. You'll know you're getting a good product through our recommendations every single time.
BakBlade Back Shaver
- The original back shaver; Patent-approved DryGlide safety blade technology
- Quick and pain-Free (DIY) back shaver; Non-electric so no moving parts or breakdowns
- Shave wet or dry; Cartridges have been specifically designed and engineered to shave your back & body both wet or dry
- Replacement blade cartridges are not included; Shaver is only compatible with the 1.0 replacement blade cartridges
- Lifetime Warranty and 60-Day money back guarantee; If not satisfied we will refund your purchase 100% guaranteed
BakBlade is a long handled shaver with a unique blade designed for cutting back hair without cutting yourself. A major problem with shaving your back is not being able to see where you're shaving very well.
With the safety blade of this BakBlade back shaver, you'll cover a large 4" inch section of your back with each stroke. This product can be used as a wet or dry shaver, so go ahead and jump in the shower! You don't need shaving cream when using BakBlade.
Gives a silky smooth shave compared to electric shavers. You can reach the hardest areas with the super long handle, and it's available in multiple colors. This men’s back shaver is equipped with disposable razor blades. If necessary, you can buy affordable replacement blade cartridges.
This back blade shaver is surprisingly affordable if you take into account its excellent design and performance. However, that doesn't stop it from being the most effective product to shave back hair. Because of its effectiveness, it has landed in our most recommended spot.
Mangroomer Ultimate Pro Back Shaver
- The new ULTIMATE PRO Back Shaver's unique patented design will enable you to reach all areas of your back by yourself with ease and shave off all your back hair effortlessly, plus added Power Burst...
- 2 Interchangeable Attachment Shaving Heads - 1.8 inch ultra wide back groomer blade to shave large areas and longer hairs quickly, plus an additional foil body groomer bi-directional head for regular...
- Shock Absorber Multi-Functional Flex Necks on both Attachment Heads effortlessly follows the contours of your back for perfect blade to skin contact at any angle, resulting in the ultimate shave in...
- Extreme Reach Extendable Ergonomic Rubberized Handle locks into place at any length you choose with the new PRO XL Extension Lock Button, plus the new Power Hinge Easy Push Lock Button allows you to...
- A new advanced quick charge battery allows for easy and fast re-charging, plus a Charge Light Indicator alerts you when the back shaver is charging (red) and fully charged (green). Care and Cleaning:...
Mangroomer was one of the earlier inceptions of a long handled shaver for shaving back hair. It's an electric shaver so you won't get the silky smooth shave, but if you prefer an electric device, this is a good one.
The Mangroomer is one of the only electric shavers designed specifically to shave back hair. If you have extra thick hair, it's equipped with a boost button for extra cutting power.
The shaving area is roughly 2" inches. The shaver can be adjusted at different degrees. This makes it easier to adjust for different shaving angles.
For an electric shaver, this comes in at an alright value. There are different versions of the Mangroomer which make them harder to compare but overall it's a decent product. It does what it's designed to do well, and the user experience is good.
Mangroomer DIY Back Shaver
- Shave off all your back hair effortlessly with the new mangroomer essential back shaver
- Unique patented design enables men of all sizes and shapes to easily reach all areas of your back from different angles with ease
- Sleek, lightweight, compact design goes from its discreet stored position to fully functional easily in a matter of seconds
- Extra-wide blade enables extremely close and smooth results without the potential of ingrown hairs that manual back razors commonly cause.Fully extendable and adjustable handle locks into place at...
- Operates on just 2 AA batteries
The Mangroomer DIY version is very similar to the ultimate but a more basic version. It's like buying the base model of a car instead of the one with the bells and whistles. Just on an electric shaver level. If you like the Mangroomer but are more on a budget, this might be the better alternative for you.
Mangroomer DIY Details
The Mangroomer DIY electric back hair shaver comes with an extendable handle that can be angled for hard to reach areas. The shaver head is roughly 2" inches of coverage and will give a close shave but not silky smooth like a razor blade.
The shaver can fold up for easy storage. It does lack the quick charge and boost mode from the Ultimate version.
There's a mixture of positive and negative reviews with the Mangroomer DIY version. We mostly believe the negative reviews are from the device being lower end. It's lower end, but the price reflects that.
I would only go for the DIY version over the Ultimate if you're on an extremely tight budget. You'll get some of the same features as the Ultimate, but the overall quality here is admittedly lower. It's still a good choice for people on a budget.Here's another spot the Mangroomer made our top lists.
Razorba Back Hair Shaver
- One time purchase with one low cost
- Easy to use painless and do-it-yourself
- Proven shaving quality with Gillette and disposable razors
- Proven patented design and it does not need batteries original since 2003
- Awarded Best of the Web by Maxim Magazine
The Razorba back hair shaver is basically a handle extension for your cartridge razor. You should own a good body razor to use with this device. This is not a shaver itself but a tool to assist your razor. It's literally an extension for your shaver.
This is a solid plastic utility tool for shaving your back. It works with Gillette and other disposable or cartridge razors. It doesn't require batteries or charging to use.
It's a minimalist tool that's very affordable. If you want a simple solution that will work with razors you most likely already have at home this would make a good fit.
This is a great minimalist tool that's simple and easy to use. Those characteristics are what are a lot of people are looking for in manual back shavers. Something that will just solve the problem it needs to solve without additional unwanted features. This can be used with your current cartridge razor, and it's very affordable. More importantly, included with your purchase is a Razorba GOAT razor.
Bro Shaver Back Hair Removal
- 60-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE & 1 YEAR WARRANTY: We are confident that this will be the greatest back shaver you have ever used, period. If you're not satisfied for any reason, we will refund your...
- SHAVE WET OR DRY: Our NEW Comfy Cloud Shaving Technology delivers comfort and prevents skin irritation, even with dry shaving. Our blade refills are nearly 50 times cheaper and name brand compared to...
- FAST AND PAINLESS DO-IT-YOURSELF BACK SHAVER: You won't need help with back hair removal anymore. This is the smoothest, closest, most comfortable, safest and forgiving shave with the industries...
- BACK SHAVING DISRUPTED: 100% water resistant. The Bro Shaver offers the smoothest most comfortable shave that is guarded, forgiving, and protected. Use any world class double edge razor brands, then...
- AUTHENTIC AND THE ORIGINAL: Designed by an American company with over 15 years of experience, numerous patents, and know-how making back hair shavers. This is the latest model with orange comb. We...
Bro Shaver is similar to our most recommended back shaver the BakBlade. Except this product used double edge razor blades. This could be a good or bad thing depending on the person using it. This product can be used for dry and wet shaving.
Bro Shaver Details
This back shaver device is a long handled shaver that uses DE (double edge) razor blades. Because it can use any range of razor blades is why it falls last in our recommendation. You can get really aggressive razor blades or very soft ones which will change the effectiveness of this device.
It makes the quality of your shave ever changing. Plus with this kind of blades you have to keep them at a certain angle, so it makes shaving with the Bro Shaver a little more difficult as well.
The Bro Shaver is priced well and functions well. The fallback is using DE razor blades. If you're an experienced wet shaver, this may be the better option out of them all, but for most people, it won't be. It's still a very good product, and if you're willing to learn to use it, it'll be one of the best back shavers. With every purchase, you’ll get 15 blades that you can use with this product.
Permanent Back Hair Removal
If you're looking for a more permanent solution, you'll need to look into laser hair removal. With laser hair removal, you will eventually stop growing hair on the treated area. There's not really any other permanent back hair removal options.
Optionally, you can also go with a long-lasting solution like back waxing or use a back hair removal cream.
Back Hair Removal Cream
Back hair removal cream will last a bit longer than shaving but not as long as waxing. Depending on your genetics and how quickly you naturally grow hair will affect the length of your results. This is true for any hair removal effort.
Nads Back Hair Removal Cream is a good option to give this a shot.
These creams tend to have an unpleasant smell. If you have sensitive skin, creams may not be the best solution. They tend to have harsher chemicals in them and may cause skin discomfort.
It's an ideal solution for back hair removal at home. If you don't want to get waxing done and have someone you don't know touching your back, it's another bonus to go with Nads.
Lower Back Hair Patch
If your main issue is the lower back hair patch, then you may want to consider sticking with a shaving solution. The lower back hair patch even affects women, and it's mostly a cosmetic issue that they're worried about.
It's often not even noticeable to people unless pointed out. Make sure you're not overly worried about something that's not a major problem. We often make things worse in our heads than it really is.
If it turns out it's really not that bad, I would recommend just saving your money and living with it. That's what I would do, and maybe it takes someone you really trust to give you a brutally honest opinion. Either way, get the trusted opinion on your back hair situation and go from there.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are the Different Types of Back Shavers?
Back shavers can be classified into two categories: manual and electric.
Manual Back Shavers
Manual shavers have a long handle and a razor assembly mounted on the end. Usually, the blades are wider than conventional razors, with a design that’s more accommodating to curves on your back. Thanks to their flexible design, most manual back shavers can be used on wet and dry skin, but it’s always better to check the usage instructions on the packaging.
Electric Back Shavers
An electric back shaver is essentially a modified version of a beard hair trimmer. It uses the same type of motor and blades. The main difference is that it has an extender that you can attach so you can reach various areas of your back. Electric back shavers are designed for softer, less coarse hair.
Why Use Shavers for Back Hair?
Not everyone has the same amount of back hairs on their body. Some only have a few, but others may have more. Whatever the case, finding a way to remove back hairs can prove challenging. You can have someone help you or maybe have it waxed, but neither is an ideal option for most guys. It is still better to deal with it on your own, but this means you need something that actually works.
That’s where a back hair shaver comes in. A men’s back shaver is made to quickly and easily remove hair by using a razor blade or an electric blade. The concept is simple: a shaver with a long handle so you can reach awkward spots on your back.
How to Shave Back Hair by Yourself?
Exfoliating your back before shaving is a good idea. It will remove dead skin cells and prepare the skin. The result: you will end up with fewer ingrown hairs and less skin irritation.
Have everything ready including a towel. You can use shaving cream if you want a more comfortable shave. Using a men’s back shaver, use long strokes either up or across your back (depending on the area to be shaved). Make sure you’re covering the entire back surface. Use a mirror so you can see what you're doing.
When you’re done, take a shower to wash off the hair and shaving cream off your back. The use a clean towel to dry up. Don't scrub vigorously. Your back needs some time to recover, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Final Review of the Best Back Shaver
The best back shaver for men can be any of the products listed above. After reading all of the reviews, you may already have a favorite. The most important thing is that it meets your specific needs. It should have features that make it easy to use. Just take note of the tips mentioned in this post, and you’ll do just fine.