If you like the stubbled look, then you might be on the lookout for a quality beard or stubble trimmer. Perhaps you’ve read some reviews online or strolled through the men’s grooming section of a retail store.
There are no less than a few dozen beard and stubble trimmers available today, and all of them claim to provide the sharpest shave with the shortest amount of clean-up time and maintenance.
This article aims to trim down the list to the 6 best stubble trimmers on the market and help buyers make the best purchasing decision. Read on to learn more.
Why Get A Stubble Trimmer?
Stubble has become an extremely fashionable look, striking a compromise between boring clean-shaven and high-maintenance beards. Stubble requires a minimal amount of maintenance and presents a clean but masculine look that many people love.
Stubble is extremely short facial hair, generally trimmed between 0.4 and 5 mm (1/64” and 13/64”). A number of studies have concluded that women find men with light-to-heavy stubble to be the most attractive, even when the same men were used throughout the study.
The best stubble trimmers will allow users to keep 5-10 days of growth going without having to fully shave. For looks and simplicity, maintaining some stubble is a very appealing alternative to daily shaving or committing to a full beard.
But even though stubble is very easy to maintain, it still requires some shaping and definition. While beard trimmers can help shape stubble to a degree, the best stubble trimmers are exceptionally precise tools that provide a razor-sharp finish and a very uniform look.
How We Choose Our Ratings
Our intention in selecting our ratings is to focus on accuracy, with an emphasis on full transparency. We examine customer reviews, testimonials, research studies on key product ingredients, and the reputation of the brand or product on the whole.
We carefully examine all facets of a product before rating the product on a 5-star scale, with 5 stars being the best and 1 star being below average.
The 6 Best Beard And Stubble Trimmer Tools For 2019
Wahl Smart Shave
- Wahl Clipper is the #1 brand of beard trimmers and hair clippers*. the brand used by professionals since 1919
- Wahl Smart shave rechargeable lithium ion wet/ dry water proof foil shaver with Smart shave technology for shaving, trimming, and wet or dry shave with precision ground trimmer blade
- Intelligent design, dual foil rechargeable lithium ion waterproof shaver with popup precision ground trimmer best for shaving, trimming and wet or dry shave. Long lasting lithium ion technology go...
- Lithium Ion plus Rechargeable technology - 90 minute of continuous run time means months of normal usage between charging. Wahl lithium ion technology also features almost no loss of charge while in...
- Great gifts for the men in your life - husbands, fathers, sons and boyfriends. Perfect for all holidays - Christmas, Birthdays, Valentines and Easter. Get a faster, closer, more comfortable shave...
Our pick for best stubble trimmer is the easy-to-use Wahl Smart Shave, which for most men will provide versatility, value, and a consistently great look.
Guys who want to sport stubble will generally want a no-fuss trimmer, with the main goal to keep their stubble at the perfect length. Because it’s so simple to use and can be used in wet or dry conditions, the Wahl Smart Shave does a great job meeting these criteria.
Wahl includes a lithium-ion battery on the Smart Shave for up to 90 minutes of continuous runtime. This should be more than enough time for the average guy to groom his stubble perfectly.
The unit is waterproof and includes a pop-up ground trimmer for great edging trimming. Meanwhile, Wahl’s dual-floating foil shaver heads hit every angle of the face perfectly, providing a uniform look in one minute or less.
An LED display alerts the user to charge life, and the ergonomic handle allows shavers to easily wield the unit.
The Smart Shave has a suggested retail price of $$, but we found the unit for $ USD or less from a number of online and retail outlets.
All-in-all, the Wahl Smart Shave provides everything that a consumer would want in the best stubble trimmer, at a palatable price backed by a great customer service department.
- FLEXHEAD STUBBLE TRIMMER: The ConairMAN i-Stubble features floating head & advanced blade technology to trim stubble, beards, mustaches & goatees with accuracy & comfort. 15 electronically-controlled...
- PRECISION & POWER: The ergonomic handle makes this trimmer easy to hold & use. The i-Stubble's ultra-precise electronically controlled length settings allow you to maintain your facial hair style at...
- RESPECT THE RITUAL: Don't crack under the pressure to look good. ConairMAN has beard trimmers, home barbering kits, electric shavers & more for precision cuts & trims so you can get your look right.
- INNOVATIVE GROOMING TOOLS: From hair & beard clippers to trimmers, shavers, epilators & home haircut kits-Conair makes high-quality grooming tools for men & women.
- CONAIR HAIR CARE: Since 1959, we have made innovative small appliances, hair styling tools, & more. Our hair care line includes high-quality hair dryers, brushes, styling tools, & hair accessories.
If you want something a tad more sophisticated than the Wahl Smart Shave, we highly recommend the Conair i-Stubble Ultimate Flexhead Trimmer.
This tool was built for those who put some craft into their facial hair, making it one of the best stubble trimmers available.
As the name implies, the i-Stubble has a flexible head which contours a face flawlessly. This is an advanced styling tool and not just a very short beard trimmer.
The LCD display shows users which trimming length they’ve selected, as well as remaining charge. The unit runs for 45 minutes off a very short charge, giving users plenty of time to handcraft the perfect look.
There’s a removable flip back guide comb, which can be used for fine trimming and grooming but removed for denser work. The unit’s 60 trimming arcs provide an exceptionally clean cut, leaving the user looking fresh and sharp.
There’s not much to dislike about the Conair i-Stubble, and users agree, as it’s an Amazon Choice product that sells very well.
A quibble from users is that the current i-Stubble has seen a quality drop from the previous model. This wasn’t a common report, but more than one user noted that the 2019 i-Stubble was weaker and less sturdy than the prior edition.
But overall, consumers and professionals love the Conair i-Stubble, as it seems to have helped most men achieve the stylized stubble look that they desire.
Remington Grooming Kit
- Memory Settings - Stores Previous Trimming Lengths
- Motorized Comb - Up to 175 Length Settings with .1mm Increments Displayed on the Digital Touch Screen
- Fully Washable - Easy Cleaning and Maintenance
- Lithium Power - Cord/Cordless use with Up to 50 Minute Runtime
- Auto Turbo - Senses & Adapts Cutting Speed For Your Beard
Remington is one of the most established brands in men’s grooming products, and their PG6025 all-in-1 is one of the best stubble trimmers we were able to find.
Consumers love the PG6025, as it is a #1 best seller in hair clippers. Available for $ USD or less, the price is right for the Remington all-in-1, as the unit provides a tremendous amount of value.
The unit features 14 different settings for ultimate grooming choices, including nose and ear trimmers, a detail shaver, three Snap-On beard and stubble combs, as well as a number of longer hair-clipper combs to work on longer beards or hair.
The blades on the PG6025 are also self-sharpening, and the lithium battery provides up to 65 minutes of runtime.
All of the attachments are easy to clean with running water, and despite the number of accessories, the unit is quite compact and portable.
It’s a bit of a coin-flip between the Conair i-Stubble and the Remington PG6250, as some will prefer the added versatility of the Remington unit while others will like the simplicity and flexible head feature on the Conair model.
Both of the shavers showcase premium quality, but it will ultimately come down to personal preference – and perhaps pricing, as the Remington PG6250 costs about half as much as the Conair i-Stubble – in determining which of the two is the better choice for you.
Philips Norelco Beard Trimmer
If you are looking for a quality stubble trimmer and occasionally grow a heavier beard, a unit to investigate further is the Phillips Norelco BT7215 Beard Trimmer.
The BT7215 features a vacuum system that sucks up loose hairs, making the unit quite portable and easy to manage. It features a number of attachments that help men with fuller beard select the perfect length, and the unit is relatively easy to clean with just running water.
The blades self-sharpen, meaning that the unit is low maintenance and that the shaver will get a consistent, great result with each and every shave.
Moreover, the BT7215 is quite affordable, as it can be found online for $$ USD or less.
Perhaps the worst thing can be said about the Norelco BT7215 is that it’s perhaps a bit of overkill for someone looking for the best stubble trimmer. This is a tool for guys who have heavy-duty beards to groom and maintain, not necessarily for those who just want to keep their stubble in-check.
Additionally, the tool is not overly precise. The shave path is fairly wide, and there were numerous reports of shavers who had a hard time grooming under their nose or near their sideburns because of the width of the trimming edge.
That said, the quality of the BT7215 is undeniable, and it can certainly meet the challenge of keeping a man’s five o’clock shadow under control.
Braun Beard Trimmer
- 39 precision length settings in 0.5 millimeters steps provide precise results no matter your beard style
- 2 combs, from 0.5 to 20 millimeter, provide flexibility and 100 percent control of your style; This also comes with a Gillette Flexball Razor
- Ultimate precision with lifetime lasting sharp blades; The Braun beard trimmer automatically adapts to any voltage between 100V and 240V
- Lifetime lasting power; 60 minutes of precision trimming from an 8 hour charge
- Fully washable for easy cleaning under running water; Blade material: Stainless steel
Like several other units on this list, the Braun BT3020 Beard Trimmer offers a number of features and attachments that take it beyond a basic stubble trimmer. But we found that this Braun unit did not quite have the quality of a few other beard trimmers on this list.
As Braun notes, the BT3020 won the 2018 Esquire Grooming award for #1 “Best for Your Wallet” trimmer, and at prices ranging between $-$$ USD, the unit does pack a lot of value.
The unit has 20 different length settings and should allow most guys to easily find a length and style that works very well for them. The unit weighs only 6.9 ounces and is very portable, providing 40 minutes of runtime off of a standard charge.
But customers reported some bugs with the Braun BT3020 that weren’t seen on some of the other best stubble trimmers on this list, notably an inconsistent battery life.
Other users reported that the unit worked poorly for closer facial shaving, and some even noted that the unit provides very uneven beard and stubble trimming.
At such a low price, it’s hard to beat the Braun BT3020 up too much. Many users were perfectly content with the unit. But that said, many of the users who liked the unit seemed to use it to maintain longer beards, and the unit may not be ideal for maintaining great stubble.
Panasonic Body and Beard Trimmer
- Precision 45 degree blades: Panasonic body and beard trimmer for men uses durable, super sharp 45 degree angle stainless steel, hypoallergenic blades to cut quickly and cleanly for efficient beard,...
- Adjustable beard trimmer dial: The quick adjust trimmer dial and three comb attachments provide 39 precision settings for personalized sculpting, trimming, cutting and detailing
- Slide up trimmer: Slide up 45 degree trimmer built into the men's electric razor adds the perfect trimming and detail to beards, mustaches and sideburns; Charging time 1 hour
- Ergonomic, rubberized grip: The ergonomic beard and hair trimmer design with rubberized grip provides for total comfort and control; Clean the trimmer in seconds under warm running water
- Cordless/corded operation: Use the trimmer cordless anytime, anywhere for up to 50 minutes with rechargeable battery power or plug in for longer use; Includes three comb attachments, a cleaning brush,...
Last up on our list is the Pansonic ER-GB80-S beard and body trimmer, which offers tremendous versatility and power.
The biggest drawback to the ER-GB80 versus some of the other entries on this list is that the unit is pretty pricey. At a suggested retail price of $$, the ER-GB80 is simply the most expensive entry on this list, and most buyers will be able to pick up a quality alternative for substantially less.
But that’s not to say that the ER-GB80 lacks in quality. The trimmer is actually very sophisticated, with precision, self-cleaning blades and over a dozen attachments to help users select the perfect length for beard and stubble trimming.
The unit has a total of 39 different length settings as well as 3 unique combs, giving it a versatility that matches any other model on this list.
The Panasonic ER-GB80’s placement so low on the list should not be seen as an indictment of the trimmer itself. If you are looking for a good stubble trimmer, the ER-GB80 will undoubtedly do a great job meeting all of your facial grooming needs.
But compared to other options for trimming stubble, the ER-GB80 is not only out-of-range expensive, but the user is paying for a number of features that he probably won’t use.
Most of the extra features of the ER-GB80 have little to do with grooming or maintaining great stubble, and thus the unit can be seen as a bit of an excessive purchase compared to other options on this list.
Buyer’s Guide For Stubble Trimmers
Most experts agree that the three qualities to look for in the best stubble trimmer are ease of use, how sharp the trimmer is, and how easy the unit is to clean.
Men who want to sport consistent five o’clock shadow are fairly particular about their look and will want to invest in a higher-quality beard or stubble trimmer.
While there’s often a correlation between the cost of the unit and the quality, that’s not always the case. We found several trimmers at very affordable price points that will satisfy most customers.
Finding The Best Stubble Trimmer For You
There are a number of great tools on this list and picking the best stubble trimmer largely comes down to what a person wants to spend on a unit, as well as how highly they prioritize factors such as cleanup and charge time.
We believe that the stubble trimmers included on this list represent some of the best offerings for 2019 and will allow men to showcase terrific stubble regardless of which unit they select.