Shaving on the go can be a real pain. Safety razors don’t always travel well, and disposable razors slice your face. The best travel shaver is what you need, but there are so many to choose from. The simple truth is that it’s hard to find a good, quality men’s travel shaver these days. Fortunately, not all travel razors are created equal. Some are sleek, inexpensive, and portable, making your trip a little less hairy. Read our best travel shaver review to learn more.
Travel Tips: Razors & Shavers
Many travelers may choose to go with a safety razor when looking for a convenient way to shave on the go. However, that may pose its own set of problems (like knowing whether or not you can even bring it with you -- video below). Even if you are able to bring your safety razor, you also need to bring your shave cream, blades, and other accessories.
You may also be tempted to go the cheap route and just grab a pack of disposable razors. If you’ve ever tried to use a disposable razor, you won’t be tempted to do this for very long. Disposable razors are cheap, ineffective blades that can cause some serious cuts on your face. This is why the best travel shaver is a great way to keep up your shaving while on the go.
What’s a Travel Shaver Anyway?
Travel shavers are lightweight, compact, and can be easily transported in luggage, carry-on, or gym bags. They’re electric razors that are designed specifically for guys on the go. There are two basic types of travel shavers:
Rotary Shavers: Rotary shavers feature a set of rotating blades that are ideal for men with thick or coarse hair. They're not ideal for close shaving but will do the job on thicker beards better than a foil shaver.
Foil Shavers: Foil shavers have a thin strip of metal that separates the blades from your face, making them ideal for men with sensitive skin. They offer a close shave and are good for thin, fine hair. Because there is a barrier between blade and hair, they’re not ideal for shaving thick hair growth.
Who Uses Travel Shavers?
Travel shavers are frequently used by professionals who need a way to keep themselves looking neat while away on business. In these cases, the disposable and safety razors usually won’t do the trick. There’s nothing worse than trying to shave the morning of your big meeting and slicing your face up.
Some men also use travel shavers if their hair goes particularly quickly. These men like to keep a travel shaver handy at the office, in their car, or in a gym bag for easy access. Since most travel shavers don’t require a cord to work, this is easy and more practical than trying to shave on the go with a safety razor.
Why Should I Get One?
While we love our safety razors around here, travel shavers make a lot more sense for on the go shaving. For one thing, this type of men’s shavers are easier to transport. Second, they don’t require a ton of accessories such as shaving cream, bowls, and brushes.
Travel shavers may cost a little bit more than a manual razor or your typical pack of disposable razors. But investing in this type of shaver will go a long way if looking neat and professional while traveling is your goal.
What to Look For
There are a number of things to consider when deciding which men’s travel shaver is best for you. Indeed, your personal preferences and needs will dictate your decision. Consider how you plan to use your travel shaver most frequently and figure out what’s most important to you.
A few things to consider:
- Type of Shaver: Some travel shavers use blades while others are foil shavers. Foil shavers are great for easy touch-ups or shaving a thin beard, not a full on trim.
- Power Source: Some travel shavers are cordless and rechargeable while others use batteries. Decide what’s best for your particular needs.
- Travel Ability: How large is the razor and what do you plan on doing with it? Are you taking it with you on a plane, or do you need something to keep in your gym bag?
- Price: Like anything, you can spend a lot or a little, so quality and value go a long way.
Top 5 Best Travel Shavers for Men
Panasonic Arc 4
The Arc series of Panasonic’s electric foil shavers are all made to offer a superior smooth shave and ease of use. The ES8243A is no exception, being in the dead center of the fleet of available shaving devices. This one, in particular, uses a set of four contouring blades, an LCD screen, and 14,000 cuts per minute. As a bonus, it can also be used in either wet or dry mode as most in the Arc series can be.
This shaver is best suited for all-around use, but specifically for professional travelers. It offers a close shave that is on par with a cartridge razor shave and may even rival a safety razor. It’s likewise suitable for everyday use, unlike some others on this list. The Panasonic Arc4 wet and dry travel electric shaver are cordless and rechargeable.
- Can be used wet or dry
- Cordless, rechargeable. Long battery life.
- The flexible shaving head adjusts to the shape of your face, instead of works against it.
- Because it doubles as a wet shaver, cleaning the foil blades is a breeze.
- Costs a little more than some other shavers on this list. The quality of the shave is superior to most travel shavers, but the high price may be hard to justify.
- Both the replacement blades and the replacement foil have to be purchased separately, which makes for a potentially pricey investment.
While some electric razors can cost a fortune, this electric travel razor is both affordable and effective. This battery operated personal shaver is compact and uses three spinning blades that contour to your face. Even though it runs on AA batteries, the charge can go for an entire hour before dying on you. While it’s not the fanciest of the bunch, this shaver gets the job done and won’t hurt your wallet either.
Philips Norelco PQ208 cordless shavers have independently floating heads that follow the curve of your face, giving you a comfortable shave. This shaver is best suited for a quick clean-up or knocking out that spot you missed when you shaved earlier. It does those jobs well however it is not suitable for everyday use or for use on full beards. If your goal is occasional maintenance, this is a fine choice.
- An affordable way to purchase an electric razor.
- Does not use cords and runs on just two AA batteries that last about an hour total.
- Shaves smoothly and easily without the use of disposable blades.
- The shaver works very slowly, taking a long time to shave your entire face. Not intended for daily use.
- This is a basic razor with no added features, best suited for touch-up shaves or quick trimming of a five o’clock shadow.
- You cannot rinse it out with water, only brush or blow it out. Rinsing may cause rust and damage. This may make clean-up a pain, especially while on the go.
- Runs on batteries, which means they need to be replaced often
Braun’s travel foil razor is another example of a quality razor that won’t break the bank. Another neat feature is that it comes designed to function as its own carrying case. The top swivels off, exposing the shaving foil and once you’re done, it goes right back. There’s no need to juggle travel bags or toiletry items to dig it out; just pick up, shave, and put back. Best of all, there’s no pesky cord to get tangled on as it runs on AA batteries.
This is a good razor to keep in your gym bag. It offers a quick, light shave that is again good for touch-ups and maintenance, not heavy duty work. The Braun M90 travel shaver with trimmer is washable under running water. This wet and dry shaver provides a comfortable shaving experience, and you can use it whenever and wherever you want.
- The shaver was built to fit in the palm of your hand, and stands at about 4.6 inches tall, making it ideal for even the smallest travel or gym bag.
- An affordable foil razor that gets the job done.
- It was designed to be washed off with water, leaving a much cleaner shaver than with spinning blade designs.
- Not meant for coarse shaving or everyday shaving. Foil shavers are only meant to touch up or shave a five o'clock shadow. Will not be effective for a full beard or even several day's growths.
- Easy to cut yourself or get razor burn by pressing too hard with the foil.
- Runs on batteries, which means you need to keep replacing them.
This no-frills travel foil razor is simple to use and compact. In fact, it only weighs about 4 ounces! One of the better features about this foil travel razor is you can actually replace the blade in it, allowing you to use it longer without having to toss the entire thing out. The shaver has no cords or bulky cases, making it the ideal travel companion if you’re looking to travel light.
This shaver is meant for the traveling man. It doesn't have lots of bells and whistles but does have a little more power than your average foil shaver. The fact that it's a little more cost effective helps deliver on overall value.
- Easy to use with nothing more than an On/Off button and two AA batteries.
- More powerful than competing travel shavers, giving more punch for the cost.
- Powerful yet affordable
- Like other travel razors, it is not meant for thick patches of extended hair growth.
- It can be difficult to determine when the blade is dulling until after you’re nicked by it.
Wahl is a trusted name in the shaving game, and the 8061 rechargeable shaver certainly lives up to that reputation. This compact shaver was designed with the frequent flyer in mind. It is lightweight, compact, and comes with an AC charging cord so you can juice up on the go.
This Wahl travel shaver is best suited for someone who does a lot of traveling by plane. It is small enough to be carried in most any type of luggage and features a long-lasting, rechargeable battery, so you get more shaves in between charges. Powerful and precise, this travel shaver has a hypoallergenic gold foil, so bumps, ingrown hairs, and skin irritation can be prevented.
- This shaver uses a rechargeable battery that comes with an AC wall cord.
- It does not need to be plugged in while in use, and the battery lasts longer than other replaceable battery powered shavers.
- Not intended as a daily shaver.
- Replacement foils and carrying case sold separately.
- Pricier than other options, but from a trusted name brand.
What Are the Benefits of Having the Best Travel Shaver?
Portability is one of the main reasons why you should buy a travel shaver. Compact in size and lightweight, you can use it practically anywhere: at home, work, or your hotel room. This type of shaver is ideal if you travel frequently, whether for business or pleasure.
Most travel shavers run on AA batteries while others are rechargeable. One advantage of battery operated travel shavers over rechargeable ones is that you can essentially use it anywhere, without the need to plug it in an electrical outlet if it runs out of juice. But over the long term, rechargeable travel shavers may be a more cost-effective option.
Final Review of the Best Travel Shaver
Any of these men’s travel shavers would make a fine addition to your shaving collection. However, for overall value, the clear winner for the best travel shaver is the Panasonic Men's Shaver for Traveler ES-RS10-S. It’s hard to argue with the benefits that this shaver offers and the overall value that it delivers.
All of the shavers on this list are good in their own way, but the Panasonic Men's Shaver for Traveler delivers on all fronts.
- It’s rechargeable, which means you won’t have to deal with replacing batteries or being tethered by a cable
- It delivers a superior foil shave compared to other foil shavers
- It’s lightweight, compact, and easy to use.
If you’re looking for overall quality mixed in with a great price point, this is the travel shaver you want. Coming from a trusted name like Panasonic, you can feel confident that you’re getting a good product at a great price that will get the job done.