The idea of not cutting ourselves during a manscaping session is one we can all agree with. The best trimmer for manscaping is a tool which can do just that. Before we jump into the nitty-gritty let me tell you briefly how we define manscaping.
The term manscaping to us is "shaving hair on the body for cosmetic effect". This might be slightly different than what it's commonly referencing -- shaving your manhood. With that in mind, we'll cover the best electric trimmers for your privates first.
Quick List: Best Trimmers for Manscaping
Things to look for in a Manscaping Trimmer
When picking out a trimmer for manscaping there's a couple thing's you'll want to keep an eye out for. I consider some of these to almost be a requirement.
What I wouldn't go without:
- Adjustable Length Settings.
- Wireless Device. A cord just gets in the way.
- Blades designed to not scratch the skin.
Those 3 core features are all options I would consider "required". There're some other options which are nice to have, but I can live without. Things like dual-ended devices, pivoting heads, and water-resistants are all great bonuses, but I wouldn't place them over my core 3.
Lesser Talked About Features:
You should always pay attention to the reviews of a device's battery. Especially the cordless rechargeable trimmers. If it's known for a weak battery that can be a red flag for a low-quality shaver.
Look for replacement parts and see if they're being manufactured. This might sound counterintuitive, but if the company is creating replacement parts they intend to keep that model around for some time.
It also means you're more likely to receive support from them if something goes wrong or they might even replace the shaver altogether if need be. That's not particularly something you're going to have to worry about, but it's good to know.
The Advantages of Manscaping Tools
What's the real advantage of having a trimmer designed for manscaping or body hair compared to any normal hair trimmer?
The hair on your head and the hair on your body
You might have tried using a hair trimmer below the belt before. Odds are it was a corded trimmer that was difficult to maneuver in that certain area. Did you end up with any nicks or cuts?
Once you start using an electric trimmer that was designed for this task you'll immediately notice the difference.
How to Prevent Nicks & Cuts
The only real concern when shaving is creating discomfort. More related to our discussion would be cutting your groin. If you've ever attempted shaving below the belt before, then you might have experienced this.
It's always a not so fun experience. Going through any added discomfort, itching, and irritation isn't how any of look at spending our day after manscaping.
The best way to prevent nicks & cuts is using a trimmer with an adjustable guard. The adjustable guard setting is one of the 3 core features I recommend you have.
Always begin any new shaving experience with a higher "longer" length setting. Not only to test how the length looks on you but to prevent cuts. You can gradually lower the setting until you're 100% satisfied with the results.
That's the only for sure way to not cut yourself with any electric shaver.
How Frequent Should You Manscape
Everyone's unique and as much this question is a little different for each individual. A good rule of thumb is to manscape twice as often as you get a haircut.
You should have a trim around the same time you get a haircut and then halfway to your next haircut.
That's the guide I've always gone by and it has served me well. It might work out great for you as well, but the only way to truly know is through trial and error. The key is to find a point in time so when you shave it's only a quick clean up & maintenance.
If you wait too long you'll have to basically "start over". Not a huge deal and it's really just a matter of convenience. Either way the manscaping twice with haircuts has worked best for me.
- Do you have sensitive skin? Check out this review.
Should You Shave in the Shower?
In my experience with electric trimmers, it's best to do your shaving before you take a shower. Even if your shaver is water-resistant I've found that water only makes everything more difficult.
When's it okay to shave in the shower? I usually shave in the shower when I'm using a disposable razor and getting a really close shave. Which isn't what an electric trimmer is for.
If you choose to use your trimmer in the shower make sure of the following:
- Your shaver is 100% water resistant.
- The hair your trimming is already somewhat trimmed.
Also don't get water resistance confused with waterproof. Being resistant doesn't make your trimmer immune to water and it should not be submerged.
5 Fantastic Below the Belt Trimmers
- Dual-sided design lets you trim and shave (below the neck) with just one product
- 3-D pivoting shaving head prevents nicks and cuts while capturing long and short hairs in a single stroke
- Built-in body trimming comb with 5 length settings comfortably glides over the skin while trimming even the thickest hair
- Water-resistant casing and materials. Use wet (in the shower) or dry
- Ergonomic design equipped with soft rubber side panels and buttons provide a secure, comfortable grip in both wet and dry conditions
Our personal favorite is the Philips Norelco Bodygroom 7100 Series. This trimmer has a lot of the things we look for. Including all of the core 3 features: adjustable guards, blades designed not to scratch, and a cordless design that's easy to handle.
I find that Philips shaving products usually live up to their expectations. In regards to the overall brand, I feel they make great products. In any case being manufactured by Philips isn't going to make a product win by itself.
The selling points on this device are as follows: 3D Pivoting Head, Adjustable Lengths, Blades designed not to cut, designed specifically for shaving below the neck, water-resistant, and dual ended with a foil shaver.
- Read the complete 7100 review.
- Outperforms Expectations
- No cuts even in sensitive areas.
- Thin and easy to handle.
- Powerful so it requires fewer passes.
- Pivot Head is difficult to remove for cleaning.
- Charging Stand is more artsy than practical, but still works fine.
- Extra-long back attachment makes it easier to shave your back
- Rounded trimming combs comfortably glide over the skin while trimming even the thickest hair
- Shave head prevents nicks and cuts while capturing long and short hairs in a single stroke
- 3 combs included for different body hair lengths
- A great gift, the bodygroomer's maintenance-free blades self-sharpen to ensure a precise, even trim and shave every time
The Philips Norelco Bodygroom 3100 Series. This shaver is unique and does differ from the 7100 series shaver above. It's a lot different than you may think.
The 3100 series shaver comes with a similar foil head shaver but lacks any adjustable guarded shaving end. If you're going for a "near bare" look than that might not be a problem for you. If you prefer a little more hair below the belt then this isn't the shaver for you.
While it does come with some guards so you can vary length we found they aren't very helpful. So, don't let that fool you if you think you'll be able to retain some hair length.
What makes this manscaping trimmer unique is its extended handle. The bottom of this trimmer folds out to give you some extra reach. While this isn't super useful for shaving below the belt it is very effective at reaching your back.
If back hair is an additional concern for you, you've found your trimmer. I've seen others claim to use it to reach other hard spots such as the back of their thigh.
Some of the selling points for this trimmer: extra long handle attachment, rounded blades that won't scratch the skin, and 3 combs for different body hair lengths.
- Great for back hair
- 100% Waterproof
- More affordable
- Less effective on very curly hair.
- Seems like a budget version of the 7100.
- 9 attachments for all your grooming needs: Full Size Trimmer; Foil Shaver; Nose, Ear, and Detail Trimmer; Vertical Body Hair Trimmer; Hair Clipper Comb with 8 Length Settings; 3 Beard and Stubble...
- Lithium Power with up to 70 minutes of cordless runtime
- Self sharpening, surgical steel blades for long lasting performance
- Washable attachments just rinse under the faucet to clean
- 2 year limited warranty
The Remington PG525 Head to Toe Body Groomer doesn't look much different from your normal hair trimmer at first glance, but it's really a manscaping tool you need to take a look at.
Firstly yes it does have 8 different lengths for the hair on your head. What makes it great are the other attachments that come with it. We've got a stubble guard, nose & ear trimmer, the full size (no attachment), and most importantly the body hair trimmer.
Usually, I'm not a fan of these trimmers using guards to "transform" what they're being used for. I will say that this particular trimmer does it very successfully. I was surprised how well they pull this off compared to the others.
Some of the selling points for this shaver: Lithium powered, 4 attachment heads, adjustable combs, and 3 snap on combs.
- Attachments actually make a difference.
- Known for long lasting batteries.
- Feels like cheap plastic.
- Best described as "okay".
- Budget shaver.
- Unique combination of a powered body hair trimmer and Gillette Fusion wet body shaver for all-round body grooming
- An extra smooth wet shave with Gillette Fusion shaving technology
- Unique combi mode to trim and shave in one stroke for fast and convenient results
- Three trimming combs for different lengths: sensitive, medium & long (0.6mm, 3mm, 8mm)
- Wet & Dry body groomer - Use even under the shower
The Braun 6 Body Shaver is quite different from the other manscaping trimmers on our list. This tool is better defined as an "electric razor". It uses actual razor blades on the head which are replaceable with the Gillette Fusion blades.
Either way, it is still an electric shaver which just has a unique purpose. I find this tool best coming right after your other trimmer. Definitely geared towards those who like no hair at all below the belt or where ever you may be shaving.
You can shave your body hair to varying lengths with this razor just as you can with other trimmers. It's also a lot better at wet shaving or shaving in the shower.
If your end game goal is an extra smooth sack, shaft, and pubic region. You'll want this electric razor in your arsenal.
Some of the selling points for this shaver: Unique electric & razor combination, extra smooth wet shave, varying length guards, can be used directly under your shower.
- Closest shave you'll get below the belt.
- 100% Waterproof.
- High Quality
- You have to buy replacement blades eventually.
- Best used in combination with another manscaping shaver.
- 7 tools for all-in-one face and head styling: full-size metal guard trimmer, hair clipping comb, beard comb, stubble comb, mini foil shaver, detail trimmer and nose trimmer.
- Chromium steel self-sharpening blades ensures long-lasting performance, while rounded blade tips and combs prevent skin irritation.
- 18 built-in length settings.Use the trimmer to create different hair and beard styles; the turbo power helps you trim through thick hair evenly and gently.
- Trimming performance: High-performance blade - For a gentle trim; Turbo power button - For increased performance.
- Lithium-ion power with up to 60 minutes of cordless use and adaptable for worldwide voltage. Run time:60 minutes,Charging:1 hour full charge,5 min quick charge;Automatic voltage:100-240 V
The Philips Norelco QG3364/49 Grooming Kit is a multigroom kit for all of your hair. It isn't designed for any one thing particularly, but designed to help you shave everything.
You could give a haircut with this tool or trim up for Valentine's day. Don't worry about having to use the same headpiece to shave your head & your balls. It comes with 7 unique attachments.
Out of the other multi grooming kits available, this one falls somewhere in the mid-range quality. You're getting a good balance of quality & budget pricing. If you can only buy one tool, but need something that can get multiple jobs done, you've found your shaver.
Some of the selling points for this trimmer: 7 Tools all in one, self-sharpening blades, 18 built-in length settings, turbo boost for thicker hair, and lithium powered.
- Great if your on a budget.
- Good Quality
- Doesn't excel at any one task. More of a jack of all trades.
- Won't last you 10 years like other high quality shavers.
Choosing Your Manscaping Tool
By now you should be able to make an informed decision for yourself and pick a great trimmer. It's pretty clear that for us the real winner is the Philips Norelco Bodygroom 7100 Series.
Compared to all the other products it performs best. You're looking for a manscaping trimmer that's going to last you a long time, continuously provide great results, and a tool you'll be happy with.
Going back to our 3 core features the 7100 series has it all. I'm confident that it will fulfill your needs as well.