How do you manscape? Let’s eliminate one misconception right now. Manscaping is not all about waxing every hair off your body. It’s an option but you don’t have to go to the extreme. The practical man will sit down and think about what works for him and what works for the significant others in his life.You’re doing this for improving your own self-confidence in finding a style that people will find attractive in a public setting as well as a more intimate one.
The things to consider range from trimming or removing hair to emphasize the beauty of your body, growing some facial hair to strengthen your masculinity or changing your hairstyle to complement your facial features if that beard and mustache really worked for you. Think about it guys, the women have been doing this forever.
You’re doing this for improving your own self-confidence in finding a style that people will find attractive in a public setting as well as a more intimate one. The things to consider range from trimming or removing hair to emphasize the beauty of your body, growing some facial hair to strengthen your masculinity or changing your hairstyle to complement your facial features if that beard and mustache really worked for you. Think about it guys, the women have been doing this forever.
The task of grooming your body can seem daunting when you first give some consideration for doing it at all. What do you need? How do you manscape “down there” without causing any damage to the boys? Hey, they are all valid questions and something you should do quality research on before you do the first snip with scissors, buzz with the electric trimmer, or smear that first layer of wax on your back.
This is one of those efforts where the right tools and the right frame of mind are crucial to coming out of it like what you see. Let’s face it. You have to like it first. Then, you can present yourself to the world for an independent, unbiased opinion. There may be some adjustments to make after you’re in the public view. Take that in stride and put your pride away for a while until you get it right for everyone. Be daring, be you.
How do you Manscape – 8 Point Reality Check
- Know what the risks are. There are many retailers that will sell you just about anything they can convince you will work. We are dealing with hair for the most part, although creating that body to show off what you got is certainly part of the game. However, I’ll leave that discussion for another time. For now, let’s just focus on not creating problems like ingrown hairs, which will create bumps and red spots. They can also cause discomfort. Things like citrus oils, mineral oils, and cooling aids such as eucalyptus can lead to ingrown hairs. Seek unbiased and independent reviews of products that are on the market for manscaping. Someone, somewhere, has experienced the downside and they aren’t shy about telling it the way it is.
- Take a lesson from shaving. You’ve been doing this since you hit puberty so there’s some experience here. To get a clean shave, you need to exfoliate the skin you’re about to use the razor on. The exfoliation opens up the skin pores and makes it easier to remove the unwanted hair. Products that contain a gentle exfoliator such as jojoba beans or ground walnut work pretty well.
- Trimming the Pubic Region. For some, it can be a case of diving into the unknown with a big pair of pruning shears … or not. This is one of those efforts where you want to take baby steps in reducing the density of the forest so you can see the tree. Trim in steps. If you are using an electric trimmer, use the highest number guard on the blade and work your way down until you’ve achieved the look you want. If you’re just looking to reign in the wild growth, scissors are your best Work from outside to closer to the crown jewels and have a steady hand. There is the option to wax the hair off as a means of directly clear-cutting the forest. I recommend you seek professional help on that one. You’ll be glad you did.
- Review the products available. Manscaping has gone mainstream. As such, retailers are catering to men with products made specifically for use down there. Exfoliation products set up the hair for a cleaner removal by opening the pores and raising the hair up to a higher level. Higher level means less pain overall. If you’re going in with a razor to shave, you’re a much braver man than I am, but there are products for that as well. They are worth the investment.
- Use products where the blade has been serviced or is new and very sharp. Trimmer blades require periodic maintenance and cleaning. Oils keep the moving parts loose and functional while cleaning with a brush unclogs the cutting ports on the blade and keep it from yanking the hairs out by the root. Razors are another matter. If you’ve used the blade before, get a new one. Save yourself the discomfort of having to walk around pigeon-toed for a day while you heal.
- There are some parts of your body that are impossible for you to do the job on your own. Hopefully, there is someone that you’re not embarrassed to ask to help you out. They can reach all parts of your back and even the chest can be done more completely by someone that can a better line of sight than you do. Don’t be macho. Ask. Again, the right tools for the job are If you’re really serious about manscaping as a continuing practice, the investment in the right tools is essential.
- You are going to cut and nick your skin. That’s just life. The old standby, a Kleenex, will get the job done but it won’t alleviate the pain. A product with aloe vera, shea butter or cocoa butter will make you much happier, much quicker. It’ll save you an ounce or two of blood over time. That’s less work for the body to replace it.
- You are going to itch wherever you cut the hair as it starts to grow back. Keep some anti-itch cream around for the first few episodes of manscaping. The body will adjust over time. Some retailers make an anti-itch cream for the pubic region as well. It helps with restoring comfort down there and can be used to take care of bug bites and sunburn as well. Hey, it could happen. You’re not doing all this work for nothing. A visit to the nude beach may be in the plan. You’ve never had to protect yourself from sunburn down there before. You just might overlook that … once. You won’t forget after the first time.
Check out the professional manscaping services.
How do you Manscape: Tips and TricksYes, someone has been there and done that before you. With most anything, the experience is the best teacher so why not learn from the mistakes of others. You might even get a smile or two out of realizing why they know what they know. I should call this section lessons learned but I won’t go there.
The pubic region is the most sensitive subject so we’ll go there first. The tip here is to develop a process and always do it in the order of steps you set up. Most guys shave down there so we’ll stick with that scenario. The order of a process that works is to Trim, Gel, Shave, and Moisturize. Trim using an electric trimmer and straddle the toilet while you do it. The hair being clipped will fall into the toilet bowl and keep the clean up to a minimum. Make sure you’re always pulling the skin nice and taut to prevent the trimmer from accidentally grabbing loose skin.
Use a heavier bath gel to lubricate the area in preparation for shaving. The best place to do this is in the shower. The more substantial gel vice just a body wash will stay with you for the next step, shaving. Shave using a body razor instead of the one you use to shave your face. It’s specially made to adjust to different contours of the body and shave more cleanly. Again, always make sure the skin is taut and move in even strokes. The moisturization is an essential step for ultimate comfort. Use a moisturizer and not alcohol based after shave even if it’s not scented. You’ll thank me later.
Many of those same tips apply to manscaping your back and other areas of your body. The only new wrinkle is to get an assistant to help you or go to a professional manscaping shop if that’s within your budget constraints. The how to part changes just a bit for the back as well. Shae from the spine outward is nice long, even strokes from the neckline to the small of the back or lower depending on just how widespread the hair is back there. Your assistant can see what’s going on and adjust to get you cleanly shaven.
Check out our shaving for a vasectomy guide.
Manscaping is not something to just into and start doing. You need to put together the right set of tools and lotions so that you’re prepared for all eventualities. Get your partner lined up to help with certain parts of the body. You will not be able to reach or see clearly some of the things your manscaping. Be patient, take your time and take pride in your new look.
Now that you’ve revealed the body in all its glory, maybe it’s time to improve the muscle tone and get those six pack abs you’ve been promising yourself and take the manscaping experience to a whole new level.