What does manscaping mean?
Manscaping is about hygiene, grooming, and taking pride in one’s appearance beyond the practice of trimming or shaving below the belt. While this might be what you think of when you hear the term “manscape,” it’s about a man putting his best foot forward and wanting to present well to the world whether he’s in a raincoat or a birthday suit.
That, friends, is what manscaping is all about. The term first popped up in the 90’s and quickly came to be associated with basically any time a dude tried shaving his balls. Today It’s about much more than that and it’s our hope that we can help spread the word and shed some light on what it truly means to manscape.
Hint: It’s not just about shaving your balls.
Manscaping Means Being Less Nasty!Okay guys, let’s be honest…
We can be pretty nasty. So nasty, in fact, that it’s a miracle we ever get a woman to look our way. While some “manly” traits might actually score points in our favor with the ladies, you can rest assured that being dirty, hairy, and smelly generally doesn’t help.
Here’s one thing we know about manscaping: women like it.
They really like it. What’s not to like? Your beard is nicely trimmed, your clothes are neat, and your nails don’t look like you dug through mud. Your body is smooth or at least the hair is well-maintained, you don’t smell like the beach at low tide, and yes, even your balls are smooth and you don’t look like you’re smuggling a chia pet in your pants.
The 3 Keys to Manscaping
Which brings us to a few key points about what does manscaping mean. Manscaping is about three things primarily: Neatness, cleanliness, and then the “landscaping” aspect of it which, as we’ve pointed out, is not just about trimming below the belt.
- Neatness: Taking pride in your appearance. Selecting nice, clean clothing and taking care of it properly.
- Cleanliness: Taking an interest in your personal hygiene such as your nails, hair, and teeth and maintaining them nicely.
- Landscaping: Yes, keeping the crotch jungle from becoming overgrown but also the back jungle or face jungle as well. Well-groomed, well-maintained hair is preferable to just letting it go where it may.
Your Manscaping Checklist
So by now we hope you’ve gotten the hint: Manscaping is not just for crotch trimmers any more, but you may be finding yourself a bit lost. Don’t worry, we got you. Let’s talk about a few things you can check off the hit list on your path to manscaping it up. Let’s start from the top and work our way down.
- Hair: There are a variety of products that are specifically designed for men’s hair. Beyond shampoo and conditioner there are creams, lotions, and gels that can help us take care of things up top.
- Face: Creams, moisturizers, or even a little exfoliating here and there. As men, we shy away from these products but there are plenty that are made for us. Dry, dead skin isn’t “a guy thing,” it’s a “unclean” thing.
- Beard: Your beard is a symbol of your manliness and like Samson, it’s also the source of your powers. But if it looks like crap it’s not doing you any good. There are a variety of oils, lotions, trimmers, and blades to help sculpt and maintain your manly mane.
- Body: From trimming and sculpting your chest hair to tweezing, shaving, or waxing your back. Believe it or not, except for a small percentage of the population most people don’t find back hair attractive. As men we tend to ignore our back because we can’t see it. Don’t.
- Below the Belt: No one likes a bushy bush. Guys don’t like it on women and believe it or not the opposite is also true. There’s no rule in the Manscaping Manifesto that say you have to wax it like a tortoise shell but believe us, your partner will appreciate some upkeep down below.
- Nails: Fact - Women look at men’s hands. Fact - Women look at men’s nails. Fact - Men are barely aware they have nails on their hands, let alone their feet. There are a variety of tools and services available to us to take care of these things.
- Massages and Spas: Taking care of yourself is important. Treating yourself is just as important. Guys, did you know there are massages and day spas for men? It’s not just a place that women go to talk badly about us. Try a massage. A real one. They’re awesome.
So, What Do You Think?Are you intimidated yet? Don’t be! We ran through this list quickly just to give a brief overview of what the manscaping life is all about. Some of this information might be new to you, some of it might seem strange. You might not know where to begin and that’s fine.
We’re here to help. As you go through this website you’ll find it chock full of hints, tips, tools, and product reviews that will help you cover all of these parts of your body and more as you explore and learn about the manscape life.
So, what does manscaping mean? At the end of the day, manscaping is about not only looking, but feeling your best as well. Oh yes, did we fail to mention there’s a mind-body connection here? You know that fresh, clean feeling you get right after you shave that’s almost like your face just birthed new skin? It’s like that except all over.
And sure, you want to do a little trim downstairs but we hope we’ve shown that it’s more than just that. If you were selling your house you wouldn’t’ tidy up the basement while a sack of garbage sits in the living room, would you? You know what, don’t answer that. You may not “be there” yet and that’s fine.
It’s our hope that we broke down some walls here and welcomed you into the joy that is manscaping. It may seem like a lot of work but if your body and mind aren’t worth it then we ask you, what is?