So you're looking for a great straight razor kit for beginners. Straight razor shaving is a great way to save money in the long run and get a great shave every single time. Modern straight razors haven't changed much because they got the straight razor design right the first time.
These single large blade shavers are all you need for a good shave. While there's some additional maintenance involved and the shave time takes longer it's a much better option to modern day 5 blade razors in my opinion.
Parts of a Straight Razor Kit
To make a complete straight razor kit for beginners you're going to need the following pieces. Some people will argue about what's all needed so it can come down to a personal preference, but here's what I recommend.
You need a good single blade razor, brush, bowl, and strop. Those are going to be your key items to make a kit. You should be able to find these items in the majority of beginner kits.
Other items which you may want to see in a kit or maybe add to your own are: paste, osma block, and a leather storage case.
There's a much wider assortment of items available which could make up your kit. Most of you are probably looking for a straight razor kit for beginners that's completely put together. If so you don't have to worry about any additional items other than what we listed above.
If you're putting your own kit together you may want to customize some things. For example if you're someone who travels a bit you may want a portable strop that comes with a handle and doesn't need one end attached to a base. There's also the option of getting disposable straight razors for travel. That way you don't have to worry about misplacing your main piece.
Favorite Straight Razor Kit for Beginners
My current favorite straight razor kit can be found on Amazon. This kit comes with all the needed essentials we talked about above. Plus they offer a 100% money back guarantee if you're not satisfied with the purchase.
In this kit you're getting a GBS wooden shaving bowl that fits up to a 4oz soap. They include an all natural ocean driftwood scented soap for you in this kit. Which is great for whipping up a fine lather to enhance the quality of your shave.
Pro Tip: Trick to making a supreme Uber Lather.
You'll get a standard strop with one end handle and other end requiring a base attachment. The tan side of the strop is for getting your straight razor in shape after use and the black side is for giving your razor a great finish.
You'll receive a GBS 100% pure badger brush (20mm Knots) that's extra dense and soft. Which also comes with a very nice wooden brush stand. The main event is a 5/8" straight razor for a beginner or advanced shaver.
You'll definitely be able to keep a straight razor in great shape with a kit like this.
Great Alternative Options for Straight Razor Kits
Shave Ready Gold Dollar Straight Razor
- Best Straight Razor Set Value - Shave Ready Out of the Box
- Shave Ready out of the box. Professionally Hand Sharpened
- Free Lifetime Sharpening - You Only Pay Shipping
- 3" x 6/8" Hardened Carbon Steel Blade is Easy to Judge Angles, 3" Wide Strop
- The Shave Networks 8 Page Beginners Guide to Straight Razor Shaving and Stropping, Gold Dollar Straight Razor, Highly Praised The Blades Grim Shave Soap, Satin Tip Synthetic Brush, Straight Razor Box...
This is a great straight razor kit for beginners. You get a good quality straight razor that's backed by Shave Ready. They even offer unlimited free sharpening's for life!
You'll get a beginners guide handbook that's packed with 8 pages of beginner information. You'll learn how to shave with a straight razor and the basics to stropping. A skill that you must learn to be a straight razor shaver.
The blade is a 3" x 6/8" hardened carbon steel blade. For this price it's probably the best beginner kit at this value. You also get other essential items like the strop and some soap to start you off!
Straight Razor Strop Kit
- Arrive 9-20 days
- Package include: 6pcs/set A great item to add to your shaving items, especially for those of us who are accustomed to the traditional form of shaving.
- This shaving brush is made from best badger hair which is set in a WOODEN handle with a waist design, producing the richest lather possible to give you years of use.
- About the Soap, Lasting lather specially formulated so would not dry on face
- Stainless Steel Bowl for Durability and Easy Clean Up and Perfect for Popular Shaving Soaps.
If you need something more cost effecient that's going to fit into your budget this beginner kit is a 6pc set that includes: a strop, shave bowl, soap, badger brush, straight razor, and stand.
I really like the badger brush that comes with this kit. It's a real great quality brush that's dense with very soft bristles.
The straight razor is a 3" gold dollar razor. It's a common straight razor in a lot of kits. It's a good balance of quality and affordability. If you're looking for a great gift for someone interested in straight razor shaving or just looking to start yourself this kit will definitely get you moving in that direction.
Straight Razor Beginner Shaving Set
- 6 Pcs Finest Shaving Set Kit specific for Beginer's
- Cow Hide Leather Strop 19.75" X 1.5" and Kohl Strop Paste made in Germany.
- Stainless Steel Not Shave Ready straight razor specific for the beginers to practice.
- 6" Razor Honing Stone, FROMM-Diane brand Shaving Brush and Marvy Shaving Soap
- This Set has Black Handle Straight Razor, Leather Double Side Strop, Strop Paste, Shaving Brush, Shaving Soap and Razor Honing Stone.
This kit is designed with a beginner straight razor. I'll be completely honest this isn't the most spectacular straight razor, but if you're starting out and don't know if you're going to stick with straight razor shaving that's not necessarily a bad thing.
You'll get the other kit items as the other kits, but these are more generic all around. It's a generic brush, strop, soap, and maintenance items.
The straight razor is stainless steel and is ready to shave right out of the box. It's a cow hide strop that comes in this kit. All together it's a decent beginner route, but not something I would recommend a knowledgeable straight razor shaver get.
Dovo Straight Razor Kit
- This Black Dovo Straight razor is an ideal size for beginners and experts. GIFT READY! Nicely packaged B1239
- Natural Wood brush and razor stand will organize your tools while keeping them dry and clean.
- Leather strop and alum block or strop paste
- Wooden handle shave brush is designed to gently exfoliate your skin while lifting the hairs for a close shave. Driftwood Soap included
- Wood Bowl bowl helps turn any shaving cream into a brush-ready lather and prevent your favorite soap from drying out between uses
This kit is similar to our main recommendation in almost every way except the straight razor. This kit includes a strop, shave bowl, soap, brush, stand, alum block, but a Dovo Straight Razor.
This is still a straight razor kit for beginners, but the razor is of much higher quality. If you're rather certain you are going to stick with straight razor shaving you might as well get a razor that's going to be around for a long time.
The Dovo Straight Razor in this kit is very high quality and if taken care of could last you nearly a lifetime.
- Check out these cool Japanese straight razors.
Tips for Beginners
It's important to gather as much knowledge as possible before you start straight razor shaving. That being said nothing is going to replace real hands on experience. Either way some of these tips might help you avoid some bumps in the road or mistakes.
Using a Straight Razor
Where else to start other than the process of shaving itself? Here's what it'll look like when you're shaving with your straight razor. If you're a beginner you'll learn a couple things in this video such as how to hold the straight razor, shaving at a 30 degree angle, and keeping the skin taut.
Straight Razor Stropping Guide
Stropping is what you'll do before & after shaving. It refines the edge of your blade to keep it at a point and no bumps. This prevents the razor from pulling hair and prevents you from getting cuts.
How a Professional Does It
You can definitely pick up some tricks when you watch a professional. This video is a great demonstration of that. Things like a hot towel are treats that you can do for yourself at home. You don't only have to do it at the barber. I always recommend treating yourself to these delicate pleasures. You'll get more than a great shave, but a relaxing mood and you'll feel amazing.
Wrapping It Up
I hope you enjoyed our straight razor kit for beginners guide. You'll be especially happy with either our main or second recommendation. The only reason I would choose another route would be to budget concerns.
Make sure to take some time and go through the tip videos and you'll learn some pretty good advice that you can take with you into your next shave.
If you're a straight razor enthusiast please let us know what you thought by leaving us a comment below. Looking forward to reading your comments.