Mustaches are not for everyone. They are for an elite crew of fuzzy-lipped individualists who may look like lumberjacks, fisticuff brawlers, wandering guitarists, or circus strong-men, but who are always following their own paths. The mustache indicates a willingness to go against the clean-shaven image of masculinity that razor companies tend to push. Because the mustache is outside the mainstream, it’s hard to find reliable information on which brands are the best on the market. So we’ve compiled our list of the best brands of mustache wax to look out for in 2018.
1. What Is Mustache Wax?
Mustache waxes give shape and hold to the often wiry or wily hairs of the upper lip. Some apply like chapstick, while others require you to heat the wax up before application. Many waxes are based on petroleum products, but the natural alternatives usually use bee wax as their base.
2. What Does Mustache Wax Do?
The general purpose of mustache wax is to give you a desired style of mustache. Many products on this list double as beard waxes, as the same substances provide benefits for both types of facial hair. In addition to the styling benefits, mustache waxes also nourish and condition the facial hair. Many prevent split ends, tangles, dandruff, and itchiness.
3. Where Can You Buy Mustache Wax?
You can find mustache wax at your local men’s fashion store or barber shop. However, if neither are available in your region, all the products we list here can be purchased on Amazon.
4. What Is the Average Price of Mustache Wax?
The average product sells for around $12. Prices vary based on the brand, the ingredients, and the amount provided in a single container.
How We Reviewed
The authors have been sporting a mustache and/or beard for over a decade. Collectively, we have worn everything from a lumberjack beard to a circus-style handlebar mustache and have used a variety of products throughout the years with varying success. We consulted reviews and internet consensus and added personal experience when preparing this list.
Overall Price Range of This Product
You can expect to pay between $8 and $18 dollars for mustache wax. Keep in mind that some hold better than others, meaning they require less product and may last longer than cheap alternatives.
What We Reviewed
- Live Bearded – Mustache Wax for Men
- The Bearded Goon’s Ridiculously Strong Beard and Handlebar Mustache Wax
- Mustache Wax by Mountaineer Brand
- Fisticuffs Mustache Wax
- Seven Potions Beard Wax
- Stache Bomb Mustache Wax
- Honest Amish Original Beard Wax
- Firehouse Moustache Wax
- Death Grip Moustache Wax
- Woodsman Mustache Wax by The Bearded Bastard
Live Bearded – Mustache Wax for Men
- Hold: Medium, Scent: Honey, Cedar, Lemon / Scent Strength: Light
- Tube Size: .15oz, 3 Tubes
Live Bearded presents a bit of a paradox: the wax is perfect for keeping your mustache tips out of your mouth, but the delicious honey, cedar, and lemon fragrance will tempt you to take a bite. Live Bearded’s mustache wax holds your lip warmer in place all day without leaving a gluey residue behind to ruin your chance at kisses. The tube that Live Bearded comes in is slightly smaller than a chapstick tube, meaning it travels well and justifies its place in your dopp kit.
- Travels well
- Light but pleasing scent that pairs well with other colognes/fragrances
- Medium hold
- Hold may not be ideal for more dramatic staches such as handlebars
The Bearded Goon’s Ridiculously Strong Beard and Handlebar Mustache Wax
- TAME UNRULY FACIAL HAIR: Whether you wear a suit and tie to work everyday or work in the great outdoors, The Bearded Goon's Beard & Moustache Wax was designed to keep your rowdy facial hair in check....
- RIDICULOUSLY STRONG STYLING HOLD FOR YOUR MUG RUG: Perfect for guys who like to add style to their beard profile. If you're rocking facial hair that requires some hold, Bearded Goon Wax has your back....
- QUALITY, ALL-NATURAL INGREDIENTS: The Bearded Goon's Beard & Moustache Wax utilizes simple, natural ingredients that are free of dangerous and smelly chemicals and is made in the USA.
- NO FOUL ODORS LIKE OTHER BRANDS: Because it's made with all-natural ingredients, The Bearded Goon won't dry out your facial hair and you won't smell like you just came from the club. Unlike most other...
- ANIMAL CRUELTY FREE: No animal testing of any kind was performed with the product, so you can feel good about what you're putting in your flavor saver.
Who knows ridiculous strength better than a bearded goon? If you want your handlebar to stay in place after an old-timey bout of fisticuffs, look no further than the Bearded Goon’s Ridiculously Strong Beard and Handlebar Mustache Wax. This mustache wax’s ridiculous strength will keep your curls looking pristine, even if your face has taken a beating.
Handlebar mustaches can be difficult to keep curled, especially if you’re an active sort of mustachioed fellow. If you find that other beard and mustache waxes fail to keep that impressive curlycue in place, don’t just look for strength, look for ridiculous strength. As an added bonus, Bearded Goon’s product is all natural, meaning it contains no synthetic chemicals, no artificial dyes, and no parabens.
- Ridiculously strong
- Excellent for handlebar mustaches and more extreme stylings
- No synthetic chemicals, no artificial dyes, and no parabens
- Hold may be too strong for users with less dramatic mustache styles
Mustache Wax by Mountaineer Brand
- LARGE 2 OUNCE TIN: Compare sizes when you are shopping; although a few have caught on, most companies are still offering their wax in smaller tins. TWICE AS MUCH means it lasts TWICE AS LONG.
- ALL-NATURAL MATTERS WHEN IT'S THAT CLOSE! Even the most careful among us get a mouthful of mustache once in a while. Many waxes on the market are petroleum based-that's oil and gas! Don't risk getting...
- ORIGINAL MOUSTACHE WAX HAS A MILD SCENT OF CEDAR AND FIR NEEDLE WITH A MILD SCENT that doesn't cling all day so it doesn't interfere with whatever else passes under your nose on a daily basis.
- NEUTRAL/CLEAR TINT doesn't get in the way of your natural hair color. It lets the real you show through.
- HANDMADE IN WV, USA. Each batch is handcrafted with the end use in mind. If you're not satisfied, just let us know and we'll refund your money. No questions asked.
Cultivating a mustache is much like cultivating a garden: one strives for a balance of human-imposed order and natural chaos. Go against the natural curl of your lip hair and you’ll struggle, but let your curls go too far on their own and you’ll lose the tightness that is so valued in mustache tips. That’s why we love the 100% natural mustache waxes like those offered by Mountaineer Brand.
Mountaineer’s mustache wax goes on clear and leaves no residue. Unlike many other mustache wax options, Mountaineer’s product is based on bee wax. When applying waxes to your face, you’re much better off rubbing their natural product than the competitor’s petroleum-based options.
- Applies clear
- Leaves no residue
- 100% natural bee wax base
- Fir and cedar scent takes a while to get used to when directly under nose
Fisticuffs Mustache Wax
- hand poured
- Keeps Mustache out of your mouth
- Pleasant citrus/rosemary aroma
- convenient pocket size tin
- Great for Handlebar curls
“Grave before shave,” boasts the bearded skull on the front of Fisitcuff’s tin of Mustache Wax. Style your mustache with this baby and create a look so classic, you’ll be taking it to the afterlife.
Skulls, beards, and brawls. Just when you thought mustache care couldn’t get any more macho, Fisticuffs hits you with their signature smell: vanilla and cigar. Not only will Fisticuffs give you the hold to turn those wily mustache tips into stately handlebars, but it will also make you smell like a British hunt club or a gentleman’s library. While we enjoy these smells, we understand cigars are not universally enjoyed. But fear not, the smell is far from overpowering.
- Holds well
- Softer texture than other waxes
- Unique cigar and vanilla scent
- Uses petroleum jelly to enhance hold
Seven Potions Beard Wax
- TAME THE BEAST: A beard wax that will shape your beard without making it look stiff or unnatural
- NATURAL & ORGANIC: We use only 100% natural and organic ingredients with NO animals testing
- ONLY PURE INGREDIENTS: NO Colorants, NO Parabens, No Synthetic Chemicals. Just pure natural ingredients.
- MEDIUM HOLD: It's ideal for beard control with shaping and not sculpting. Use it as a mustache wax for making it look naturally tamed.
- CONDITIONS & PROTECTS: The premium natural butters, vitamins, carrier and essentials oils ensure that this beard styling wax will keep your beard nourished and protected throughout the day.
Sometimes a mustache wakes up on the wrong side of the bed. You wet and twist and turn it, brush it out and then back down, and slather it with wax. Sometimes your face just wakes up with a tangled monster on its upper lip. When you’ve got to tame such a monster, you need Seven Potions. No, not from your local wizard–Seven Potions Beard Wax.
Seven Potions Beard Wax provides a medium hold applied throughout a beard (not just the mustache) to get things under control. An all natural, organic option, Seven Potions comes loaded with ingredients that provide nourishment to beard hair. These ingredients prevent split ends and dandruff, which contribute to gnarly tangles and facial itchiness.
- All natural, organic
- Nourishes beard hair
- Prevents split ends and dandruff
- Medium, versatile hold
- Better for those styling entire beards rather than just a mustache
Stache Bomb Mustache Wax
- Mustache wax especially for handlebar moustaches! No shave november? No problem. Mustache March? We've got you covered. Works great on beards, goatees and sideburns.
- Handmade in Maine and Comes in a manly pine scent. Includes a Stache Bomb logo guitar pick as a mustache wax scraper, or just use it to make some epic metal! \m/
- Do you wear a monocle and use words like 'indubitably'? Are you a hipster who can't keep his stache out of his PBR? Looking for the last touch on your Steampunk look? Do you ride motorcycles? If you...
- Inspired by a bygone era filled with mustachioed aviators like Howard Hughes, Stache Bomb Stacy adorns the tin like noseart on a bomber. I present to you Stache Bomb! It comes in a manly pine scent....
- Stache Bomb was originally created in Maine as a way to get through the long Maine winters without a cold bare face. Our first product, Stache Bomb Stache Wax was released in 2012 to the fanfare of...
Stache Bomb comes to us from the wintry land of Portland, Maine, and it provides a hold that can stand up to a blizzard. This wax smells of pine and citrus, and it goes on softer than many other types of wax. Whereas some alternatives feel as if you’ve glued your mustache to your lip, Stache Bomb retains a softness to the touch and easily washes out when it’s time.
As an added bonus, Stache Bomb Mustache Wax comes packaged with a guitar pick complete with their pin-up girl mascot on the front.
- Soft hold that keeps things in place without feeling like glue
- Pleasant pine and citrus smell
- Bonus guitar pick
Honest Amish Original Beard Wax
- Hand Crafted in the USA
- Beard Control, Light Shaping, Rogue Hair Control
- All Natural and Organic Ingredients
- Softens and Conditions, Tames Unruly Beard Hairs
- The Most Trusted Brand for Beards in the World
If anyone knows beards in America, it’s the Amish. They’ve been rocking beards before they were hipster fare, and the folks at Honest Amish have a created a beard wax to prove their expertise. Honest Amish Original Beard Wax is the oldest beard wax we have on record, and the formula still works wonders today.
All natural bee wax provides the basis of Honest Amish Original Beard Wax, and yet the hold is so fantastic, reviewers have likened it to hairspray. Unlike hairspray, this beard wax won’t put a hole in the ozone, but it will provide a style-able, yet flexible hold to one’s mustache.
- All natural, bee wax base
- Oldest formula on record
- Great hold
- Uses fruit and nut butters that some may be allergic to
Firehouse Moustache Wax
- Superior all-day hold for your 'stache or beard. "Wacky Tacky" moustache wax ('Tacky' for short) is the darkest of our waxes and a customer favorite. Easy application with no need to reapply.
- Blends best with brown to black facial hair. Due to the natural variances in the waxes used, it can sometimes be darker or lighter than shown. Goes on lighter than it looks in the tin.
- There are no dyes or fragrances in our waxes. Both color and scent come naturally from the waxes used.
- The main difference between our Tacky and Dark waxes is the Tacky is usually darker in color and tackier in texture.
- Handmade and poured in small batches by Fireman John in the USA.
Just as firemen have your back when things go up in flames, so, too, does Firehouse Moustache Wax when your face looks like it has gone up in flames. The story goes that the creator of Firehouse Moustache Wax tried batch after batch of formula on his fellow firemen at the station until they were satisfied with the end result.
Firemen tested, firemen approved, this wax requires only a small amount to keep a mustache in shape. Don’t let its dark appearance scare off those of you with facial hair on the lighter side; Firehouse Moustache Wax clears up when it’s applied.
- A little goes a long way
- Hold is strong to extreme
- Fireman tested, fireman approved
- On the more expensive end of the mustache wax range
Death Grip Moustache Wax
- 1oz Metal Tin
- Hold: Strong Competition Grade Hold
- Strongest All-Natural Mustache Wax!
- A perfect blend of select all-natural cruelty free ingredients.
- Caution: For serious moustaches only!
Nothing holds quite as tight as a Death Grip. This product boasts the most powerful hold of any all-natural mustache wax. The hold is so strong, in fact, that you need to heat the wax to get it soft enough to apply. While this may seem like a nuisance to those requiring only a mild hold, those building epic facial styles will be happy Death Grip’s extreme strength.
The most unique type of mustache wax on this list, Death Grips is recommended for the serious mustache enthusiast.
- Extreme hold
- All natural ingredients
- A heat source is required to apply
Woodsman Mustache Wax by The Bearded Bastard
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS - The Woodsman Mustache Wax is made from Natural Beeswax, Lanolin, Natural Fragrance, Cocoa Butter, & Jojoba Oil
- GREAT SMELL - Subtle but noticeable woodsy scent of Texas Cedar and Pine. Scented with exotic, essential oils and extracts
- AMAZING HOLD - The Bearded Bastard's Natural Ingredients combine to create a Strong Hold Mustache Wax that lasts all day and conditions hair
- The Bearded Bastard Woodsman Mustache Wax - 1 oz. tin with a handsome laser-etched wooden label
- Handcrafted in the Heart of Texas - American Made Firm Hold Stash Wax adds fullness while nourishing your hair
Smelling like Texas cedar and pine, Woodsman Mustache Wax by The Bearded Bastard lives up to its lumber jacking name. While the scent fades pleasantly into the background, its hold lasts an impressively long time. We liked the handsome wooden labeled tin and the all natural ingredients that this mustache wax provides. Some users find the product too hard to apply, but usually a short blast from a hairdryer is enough to render the product pliable.
- Woodsy, pleasant smell
- Impressively long-lasting hold
- May need to be warmed up with a blow dryer or other heat source
We hope the information here provided will guide you toward the mustache wax best suited to your needs. Each entry on this list deserves a spot among the best mustache waxes available. But if we had to pick a single winner, we’d give that award to Honest Amish Original Beard Wax. The natural ingredients, the excellent hold, and the long history of Beard expertise makes it a superior product.