While it’s common to be concerned with trying to find a bikini area trimmer for the summer, a lot of women are left wondering "what about the rest of my body hair"? Hair grows all year round, not just when it's time to put on a swimsuit again, and before you know it, you could have an entire drawer dedicated to body hair products.
Between waxes, formulas, manual razors, and do-it-yourself strips in boxes, it seems like there are as many options as there are hairs on your body. The overwhelming amount of choices can be intimidating, but that’s why many are turning to a women’s electric razor for their grooming.
No products found.
Why Use a Women’s Electric Razor?
So you’re probably wondering, why use an electric razor when cartridge razors have worked well for this long? Good question. In times past, electric razors could scarcely match the closeness and precision offered by a cartridge, and women’s electric razors were pretty much non-existent.
Over time, however, electric razors have gotten advanced to the point where they’re on par with your standard disposable or even brand name cartridge blade. And the quality shave is only the tip of the iceberg:
Cut Down on Shaving Time. Women tend to shave more frequently. Call it a cultural double-standard or just a desire to look good, but women tend to shave more frequently than their male counterparts. Using a women’s electric razor helps by cutting down (pun intended) on the time spent shaving without compromising shave quality.
Fewer Cuts. Whether it's the legs, bikini area, arms, or elsewhere, the average woman simply has more surface area to shave than a man. Using a women's electric razor is safer and easier. The risk of nicking or cutting oneself is lowered than with a blade, owing specifically to the design of the electric razor. Blade and cartridge shavers are effective but are not designed specifically for the varied shape and contour of a woman's body.
No Pain or Burn. Unlike wax, there’s significantly less pain with a women’s electric razor. As a bonus, you don’t have to heat it up in the microwave either. In fact, that’s pretty frowned upon.
It Saves Money. Since women shave frequently, and cartridge razors aren’t built to last forever, a women’s electric razor saves money in the long-term by eliminating or vastly reducing the need to purchase disposable or cartridge razors.
- Have you considered using an epilator?
Is There Any Difference Between a Woman’s Electric Razor and a Man’s?
The fundamental purpose between the two razors is essentially the same. However, there are a few differences to be found between a women’s electric razor and the type that men use. Just in case you were thinking of stealing your husband/boyfriend/brother’s razor, consider a few things first:
- Men’s electric razors are frequently designed with men’s beard’s in mind. This affects the contouring mechanism of the razor as well as the surface area it covers.
- The blade area may not be adequate to cover a lot of surface frequently. Men’s electric razors are often used for quick cuts, trims, or shaping a beard, not for shaving your legs.
- Many men’s electric razors are not meant to be used “wet.” Since most women shave in the shower (not the case for most men), this may present a hassle. Trying to use an electric razor in this way can result in damage.
What to Consider When Buying a Women’s Electric Razor
Like any product, there are a few things to consider when setting out to buy a women's electric razor. There are high end and low-end models to take a look at, and your specific needs will vary. A few things to consider include:
Keep these in mind...
Price. Value is everything. Are you planning on using this as your primary hair removal device or simply an additional tool in your arsenal? If the former, you may be willing to splurge, the latter may relegate this device to just another accessory that isn’t worthy of a hefty investment.
What Are You Shaving? Many women’s electric razors were designed specifically with shaving legs in mind. Many are multi-purpose and some include attachments for other areas. Consider where you plan on shaving and whether or not this is ideally suited to those areas.
Wet/Dry Functionality. The designers of women's electric razors know that most women shave in the bathtub or shower. As such, most are designed to be used wet or at least aren't damaged if they do get wet.
Battery / Charging. Most women’s electric razors are cordless, which is a plus in many ways. On the other hand, few are designed to be rechargeable and include a charging dock. Battery life may be a factor to consider, especially if you’re a woman on the go. Rechargeable battery sets can always be purchased however this is an added cost to think about.
Accessories and Attachments. Many women’s electric razors come with additional features such as nose or ear trimmer attachments. If these are important to you, it’s certainly something to consider.
5 Best Women's Electric Razors
In times past, the market for women’s electric razors wasn’t very large. Thankfully that has changed over the years and there are now several to choose from. There’s so many, in fact, that it can be hard to tell just which one is right for you. We’ve found five that do a great job going beyond only focusing on one area, giving you a smooth, shaved, and sexy body no matter what time of year it is.
Ckeywin Women's Electric Shaver
Ckeyin has made an ergonomically designed, all-over hand shaver that is advertised as the only body hair shaver you’ll ever need. Shaped like a flashlight, it easily fits in your hand. Best of all, it’s a wet and dry shaver, allowing for easy touch-ups and shaving in the shower. Good for facial hair, arm and leg hair, armpits, and bikini lines, this could very well replace all your other body shaving gizmos.
- For being a complete body hair trimmer, it’s impressively priced at about $16, making it highly affordable.
- This cordless shaver only needs one AA battery, which leaves charges behind for simple shaving solutions.
- Its compact shape makes it ideal to use at home or to take with you anywhere; it’s small enough to fit in a purse.
- The smaller blades can become clogged quickly, especially with thicker hair types.
- While it may be good for bikini lines, it isn’t ideal for bikini areas.
- Only requiring a single AA battery to operate is nice, but the batteries tend to die quickly so investing in a set of rechargeable batteries may be in order.
Denshine Portable Bikini Line Hair Trimmer
Rather than a bulky all-over electric shaver, the Portable Bikini Line Trimmer opted for a far thinner design. The results are being able to accurately pinpoint specific areas and evenly remove body hair with just a few strokes. While these sorts of trimmers are common to find in discount stores, they are nowhere near the level of quality that this model brings. If you’re looking for a device that is thin and targets specific areas rather than an all-body shaver, this is a great option.
- Battery powered, needing only one AAA battery to operate.
- Great for use on smaller areas, such as removing ear hair, the hair above your mouth, and even sculpting your eyebrows.
- Even with the added eyebrow shaver or comb, the pencil-thin design is small enough to fit in a purse or bag.
- Cheap is cheap – it’s only about $10 and it’s made of plastic. While it’s effective, don’t count on an especially long life.
- Does a good job, but don’t expect it to get through anything more than in-between jobs; won’t stand a chance against thick hair.
- Not intended as an overall body shaver, but rather a device to trim and neaten between regular shaves or for last minute touch-ups.
JCMaster Ladies Electric Shaver
Although pricier than the other items on this list, the JCMaster Ladies Shaver for Women isn't just redundantly named; it truly is a complete body hair shaver. Its egg-like shape makes it easy to grip, which is especially useful for use in the shower. Its shape also helps it shave armpit hair, legs, and faces. It also skips needing to be charged, running on 2 AAA batteries.
- Perfect for wet or dry shaves, as well as any area you need to use it on.
- The “smart shave” blade design combs and cuts at the same time, reducing the chance of yanking out hair while shaving.
- Delivers a close, quality shave despite its small, unassuming size.
- Easy to clean – no brushes needed, only running water.
- Despite not having a rechargeable battery come standard, the 2 AAA batteries tend to last long.
- A little steep on the price, especially for not coming with a charging station. Investing a set of rechargeable batteries (which adds to the price) may be in order.
- The blade may be a little too wide for smaller areas, like facial features or ears.
Styles II Mini Lady Shaver
The Styles II Mini Lady Shaver bills itself as a once-a-week body hair shaver, getting in close and leaving you smooth. It was designed for travel in mind, compact and easy to hold. Like the JCMaster shaver, it is a little pricier than other models but does include a few more bells and whistles.
- No need to buy batteries with the included USB charging cable.
- This is probably the smallest personal shaver you’ve ever seen, and it will fit into almost any travel bag or purse.
- Does not need any shaving cream, yet still, leaves skin smooth.
- Bafflingly, the shaver is not waterproof. This may have more to do with the stainless steel and nickel blades, but it’s surprisingly not shower friendly.
- While it’s nice to finally find a rechargeable electric body hair trimmer, long charging times can be a hassle, especially for a shaver which is supposedly designed with travel in mind.
- Being a “travel” shaver, it probably isn’t going to cut through coarse hair.
Epitome Electric USB Shaver
Similar to the Styles II Mini Shaver, the Epitome Mini Bomber was designed specifically for travel. It, too, advertises itself as a once-per-week shaver, perfect for traveling for either business or pleasure. The miniature shaver fits into any luggage, as well as the palm of your hand, and it’s simple on/off button is easy to use.
- Although not waterproof, it can cut through wet hair fair better than the Styles II can.
- This travel shaver also utilizes a USB charger for easy recharging on the go.
- Removes hair without leaving it feeling irritated with a smooth finish.
- Like other travel shavers, it still requires lengthy charge times and will only squeeze half an hour of use out of each charge.
- While it touts itself as a multi-purpose body shaver, some may find that it leaves a lot to be desired, especially with leg hair.
- Smaller razor means smaller motor, meaning you’ll probably need longer than half an hour to get as close as you’d like to.
Although most items on the list were fairly similar, the JCMASTER Ladies Shaver for Women wins by a hair (pun intended). While it is a littler pricier than the other shavers on this list, the pros far outweigh the cons.
The JCMaster allows for wet or dry shaving which helps since women tend to shave in the tub or shower, far more than men do. Although rechargeable systems are highly preferred, the 2 AAA batteries give it a little-added oomph, especially when compared to the mini shavers. A set of rechargeable batteries may be in order, but if you can swing the price it’s a worthy investment.
If you’re looking for a no-frills, shower friendly body hair trimmer and you’re okay spending a little more, the JCMASTER is the best choice.
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API